GelRed™ can be used to stain dsDNA, ssDNA or RNA in agarose gels via either precast or post gel staining. GelRed can also be used to stain dsDNA, ssDNA or RNA in polyacrylamide gels via post gel staining. GelRed is also compatible with downstream DNA manipulations such as restriction digest, sequencing and cloning.
A series of safety tests have confirmed that GelRed™ is noncytotoxic, nonmutagenic and nonhazardous at concentrations well above the working concentrations used in gel staining. As a result, GelRed™ can be safely disposed of down the drain or in regular trash, providing convenience and reducing cost in waste disposal.
For new users, Biotium recommends GelRed™ 10,000X solution in water, our latest formulation that eliminates the hazards of handling DMSO for better safety. We continue to offer GelRed™ 10,000X solution in DMSO for established users of GelRed™ in DMSO who do not wish to change their laboratory protocols. The performance and stability of GelRed™ 10,000X is comparable in both the water and DMSO formulations. For your convenience, we also offer ready-to-use GelRed™ 3X in water that can be directly used for post gel staining. For customers who look for large pack size, we offer a cost-saving bulk pack size of 10 mL.
- Safer than EB: Shown by the Ames test and other tests to be nonmutagenic and noncytotoxic
- Easy disposal: Passed environmental safety tests for direct disposal down the drain or in regular trash
- Ultra-sensitive: Much more sensitive than EtBr and SYBR Safe
- Extremely stable: Available in water, stable at room temperature for long-term storage and microwavable
- Simple to use: Very simple procedures for either precast and post gel staining
- Perfectly compatible with a standard UV transilluminator : GelRed replaces EtBr with no optical setting change; GelGreen replaces SYBR or GelStar with no optical setting change (see Figure 3)
- Perfectly compatible with downstream applications : Compatible with downstream DNA manipulations such as restriction digest, sequencing and cloning.
The Most Sensitive and Stable Precast Gel Stain
The Most Sensitive and Stable Post Gel Stain
Figure 2. GelRed™ displays consistently superior sensitivity for post gel staining, regardless of the filter used (A vs. C) and storage and handling condition. SYBR Gold, however, showed comparable performance only when used fresh from the manufacturer and with a SYBR filter (B vs. D). Following a few freeze-thaw cycles, SYBR Gold 10,000X solution degraded significantly, resulting in poor staining (E). SYBR Gold 1X solution also degrades over time (see Figure 4). Two-fold serial dilutions of 1kb Plus DNA Ladder from Invitrogen were electrophoresed on 1% agarose gels in 1x TBE and post- stained with GelRed™and SYBR Gold, respectively. Gels were imaged using 300-nm transillumination and photographed with the indicated filters and Polaroid black-and-white print films. The total amount of DNA per lane for each serial dilution was: 200 ng, 100 ng, 50 ng and 25 ng from left to right.
Please also see our EvaGreen™, a breakthrough nucleic acid dye ideally suited for quantitative real-time PCR(qPCR). By incorporating a smart “release-on-demand” DNA-binding technology, EvaGreen™ has low PCR inhibition while exhibiting superior sensitivity. Similar to our GelRed™, EvaGreen™ has remarkable stability.
Note: *GelRed and its uses are covered by US patent numbers 7960498, 7803943, and 8232050. **SYBR is trademark of Molecular Probes, Inc. and GelStar is trademark of FMC corporation.
Click here to download brochure
Catalogue # 41002 0.5ml/unit
Catalogue # 41002-1 10ml/unit
For more information on Biotium GelRed, please visit www.gelredaustralia.com.au