PMA-Lite™ LED Photolysis Device is specifically designed for photoactivation of propidium monoazide (PMA) and other similar dyes.
It can also function as a general photolysis device to provide continuous & even illumination to 1.5-2 mL-sized vials in a controlled manner.
- Holds up to 18 x 1.5 to 2ml microcentrifuge tubes.
- Multiple LED lights are positioned to provide even and maximal illumination from both the sides and bottom to all vials.
- An internal fan is used to reduce the heat generated from the lights to ensure near room temperature photolysis.
- Four timer settings, for 10, 15, 20 or 30 minutes of continuous photolysis.
- 120/240V internal converter. A universal outlet adapter is included for Australian customers.
- Long-lasting LED’s with 465 – 475 nm emission for efficient activation of PMA, PMAxx, EMA or other similar azido dyes.
PMA is a photo-reactive dye that binds to dsDNA with high affinity and can be used for the selective detection of viable pathogens by qPCR. More information can be found on our PMA product pages 40019 and 40013.
Receive one free vial of 20 mM PMA (40019) with purchase of the PMA-Lite™ LED Photolysis Device.
Each device comes with one removable blue tube adapter/rack.
For viability PCR of gram-negative bacteria we highly recommend using Biotium’s new PMA Enhancer (31038) in conjunction with PMA. PMA Enhancer for Gram Negative Bacteria was designed to improve PMA-mediated discrimination between live and dead gram-negative bacteria. When a sequence from a gram-negative bacteria is amplified by PCR, samples pre-treated with Enhancer show a decrease in the signal from dead cells, with no change in the signal from live cells.
Biotium also provides strain-specific PMA Real-Time PCR Bacterial Viability kits with validated primers for 5 selected pathogens: M. tuberculosis, S. aureus, MRSA, Salmonella, and E. coli O157:H7. These kits provide everything that you need for the selective detection of your favourite species of live bacteria by real-time PCR.
Real time PCR amplification curve of DNA from live or heat-killed E Coli +/- PMA subjected to 15 minutes of photolysis with the PMA-Lite LED Photolysis device. Real time PCR was performed with primers against a region of the 16S rRNA gene.
Heat-killed E Coli inclubated with PMA and photolysed with the PMA-Lite LED Photolysis device show a greatly increased Delta Ct value over PMA treated live E Coli. After real-time PCR analysis, Ct values for untreated live or dead E Coli were subtracted from average Ct values for treated live or dead E Coli samples.
Cat # E90002